1466 State Route 65, McClure, Ohio 43534
Park Office Phone: (419) 832-7662
Reservations: (866) 644-6727
Situated along the historic Maumee River, 105-acre Mary Jane Thurston State Park offers a variety of day-use and overnight activities. The Maumee is not only scenic, but also provides some of the best stream fishing in Ohio. Boaters have access to the river while history buffs may explore the remnants of the old canal.
You can find more information about each of the following activities below.
Northwestern Ohio was covered by a massive ice sheet during the Ice Age. As the ice melted, the area from Fort Wayne, Indiana to western New York was covered by a large lake named Lake Maumee by geologists. With the retreating of the ice, new eastern outlets opened and eventually present-day Lake Erie was formed. As the water drained from the state, swamps formed in the lowlands. The Great Black Swamp, 120 miles long and 30 to 40 miles wide, included the Maumee Valley. The heavily wooded swamp was a barrier to westward settlement. By 1900, through the use of a major system of dikes and ditches, the area was drained. The dark soils of the old swamp became fertile agricultural lands. Ridges of sand or old beaches can be found from Liberty Center, Ohio northeast to Detroit. Known in Ohio as the Oak Openings, these sand beaches were formed when present-day Lake Erie was larger. Originally, the Oak Openings were surrounded by dense swamp forests. Today, the Oak Openings area includes impressive dunes, bogs, prairies, swamp forests and a variety of unique vegetation.
Looking to stay overnight in a cabin or lodge? Use our preferred partner to help you fulfill all your lodging needs!Click Here To Find Lodging
Fishing: The Maumee River's northern pike, walleye, white bass, smallmouth bass, channel catfish, bullhead, sheepshead and crappie offer good sport. A valid Ohio fishing license is required.
Boating: A launch ramp provides access to the Maumee River. The park has a 96-slip marina. Slips are available for seasonal rental. Transient docks are available for rent on a daily basis. Contact the park office for more information.
A one-mile portion of the Buckeye Trail passes through the park following the side cut canal. The trail continues on to the Village of Grand Rapids. A one-mile loop trail winds through the floodplain forest while an easy half-mile trail circles the day use area. Six miles of trails in the North Turkeyfoot Area may be used for backpacking, horseback riding or mountain biking.
Picnic tables, grills, restrooms and water are located along the river shore. An enclosed day-use lodge was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1936. This heated building can be reserved year-round for reunions and meetings for a nominal fee. Contact the park office for details.
This area was the rich hunting grounds of many Indian tribes. As settlers moved west, hostilities arose. President Washington appointed General Anthony Wayne to lead forces into the area. After building Fort Defiance in 1794, at the junction of the Maumee and Auglaize rivers, Wayne advanced down the Maumee Valley. At the Battle of Fallen Timbers, Wayne's troops defeated the Indian warriors commanded by Blue Jacket. This battle put an end to twenty years of conflict between Indian and settler. In later years, the canal building era had a great influence on the region. The Miami and Erie Canal, which traveled north from Cincinnati, merged with the Wabash and Erie Canal south of Defiance in 1845, linking Cincinnati to Lake Erie. The canal stimulated development and trade along its route. In order to better use the slackwater at the head of the Maumee River near the community of Gilead, a second dam was built by the state in 1845. Previously, a smaller dam had been built across part of the river to power a mill. The citizens were outraged about the new dam which limited water power to the mill and one night destroyed the dam. As a compromise, the Gilead Side Cut Canal was built, connecting Gilead with the Miami and Erie Canal, and a replacement dam was constructed. In 1855, the canal port of Gilead was incorporated as Grand Rapids. In 1928, Mary Jane Thurston, a Grand Rapids schoolteacher bequeathed fourteen acres of land to be used as a park. After several transfers and leases, Mary Jane Thurston State Park was dedicated in 1968.
Nearby parks include Providence Metropark (Grand Rapids) and Independence Dam State Park (Defiance). The Isaac Ludwig Mill, within Providence Park, is operated seasonally. Built in 1846, this water-powered grist mill has been restored. Independence Dam includes hiking, camping and picnicking facilities as well as a restored canal lock. Maumee State Forest, located 8 miles from the park, provides recreation opportunities. A monument to the Battle of Fallen Timbers is located between Maumee and Waterville on U.S. 24. Also of historical interest is the restored Fort Meigs near Perrysburg. The original fort was built by General William Henry Harrison during the War of 1812.