6301 Park Office Road, College Corner, Ohio 45003
Park Office Phone: (513) 523-6347
Golf Course Phone: (513) 523-8081
Reservations: (866) 644-6727
Hueston Woods State Park, located in Butler and Preble counties, is nearly 3,000 acres of natural resources for outdoor recreation, such as hiking, fishing, canoeing, and unique to this region -- fossil hunting. The park surrounds 625-acre Acton Lake, with campsites, cabins, and a resort lodge to entice the overnight visitor. A year-round program is provided at the nature center. Live animal displays, nature hikes, bird and flower walks, slide talks, movies, and fossil hunts are presented.
You can find more information about each of the following activities below.
Hueston Woods State Park located in southwest Ohio has an enormous wealth of natural resources. The limestone bedrock of the area is evidence of an ancient shallow sea that once covered Ohio. Lime in the water accumulated on the sea floor and eventually recrystallized into limestone bedrock. Much of the limestone is the magnesium-bearing type called dolomite. Fossilized remains of ancient marine animals are concentrated in the limestone, so many in fact that people from all over the world come to Hueston Woods to collect them. The rich soils of the area are part of the glacial till plains of western Ohio that attracted early settlers due to their tremendous agricultural value. When settlers arrived, the land had to be cleared of the dense woodlands that covered it and most of Ohio. Nearly all of Ohio's original forest has since vanished. However, one unique stand of old-growth timber remains at Hueston Woods. Over 200 acres have been protected and provide visitors with a glimpse of Ohio's primeval forest. Stately beech and sugar maple tower above the abundance of ferns, wildflowers and other woodland species. In 1967, the 200-acre forest was designated a National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service.
Looking to stay overnight in a cabin or lodge? Use our preferred partner to help you fulfill all your lodging needs!Click Here To Find Lodging
There are 255 family campsites with electrical outlets on the west side of the lake. The area is provided with showers, flush toilets, laundry facilities and trailer waste station. Picnic tables and fire rings are also provided. There are 236 non-electric sites available. These sites have picnic tables, fire rings and vault-type latrines. A group area is also available to organized youth and adult groups. Groups wishing to use this area must contact the park office at least fourteen days prior to the arrival date. All camping is limited to 14 days within a 30-day period. There are a limited number of sites available for campers with pets.Campground Map
Golf Course: The 18-hole, 7,005-yard, par 72 golf course is off Brown Road approximately eight miles from the park entrance. The course is open from March until November. Please call the pro shop at (513) 523-8081 for a tee time.Hueston Woods Golf Course Map
Swimming: A 1,500-foot swimming beach on the west shore of the lake is open to the public during the summer months. A concession stand and bathhouse are located at the beach. Swimming is permitted from sunrise to sunset.
Fishing: The lake has a population of largemouth bass, crappie, channel catfish, and bluegill. Anglers 16 years of age and older must possess a valid Ohio fishing license.
Boating: Launch ramps and public docks are provided for boaters. There is a 10 HP limit on motors; canoes using motors have a limit of 4 HP. Boats may be rented at the marina.
A valid Ohio hunting license is required. You can find out more information about getting a valid Ohio hunting and trapping license on Ohio's division of wildlife website: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-trapping-and-shooting-sports/hunting-trapping-regulations/licenses-and-permits. Pursuant to Ohio Administrative Code, no person shall at any time hunt, trap, kill, pursue, or shoot at any wildlife and/or wild animals by any means within 400 feet of any nature trail, picnic area, service area, residence, barn, parking lot, cabin, or other structure.Hueston Woods State Park Hunting Map
Over ten miles of trails challenge the hiker and provide an opportunity for nature study. A hiker's guide is available at the park office. Six miles of bridle trail and a horsemen's staging area are located off S.R. 177 on Four Mile Valley Road.Hueston Woods State Park Hiking Trail Map
Nine areas are provided with tables; areas with grills are shown on the map. No ground fires, please.
The history of the Hueston Woods area dates to 1797. Matthew Hueston, while serving with General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, observed the fertile soil in southwestern Ohio. When Indian resistance subsided, Hueston began to buy land in what is now Butler and Preble counties. Hueston, one of Ohio's earliest conservationists, preserved a portion of his forested land as did his descendants. When the last of the Huestons died in the 1930s, Morris Taylor, a conservationist from Hamilton, purchased the woods and held it in trust until state funds could be allocated for its purchase. Cloyd Acton, a Preble County legislator, influenced the state legislature to appropriate funds to acquire the former Hueston land in 1940. His proposal became reality in September 1941 when the Hueston property was bought by the state and officially designated as a state forest. In 1945, money was appropriated for the purchase of additional land. The Oxford Honor Camp was established in 1952. This camp, set up under the supervision of the Ohio Board of Corrections, housed honor status inmates for the next twelve years. Buildings of the former camp now serve as the park office, meeting rooms, and nature center. Early in the summer of 1956, the 1,200-foot earth fill dam across Four Mile Creek was completed, and the following year Acton Lake was impounded. Shortly thereafter Hueston Woods was dedicated as a state park. Throughout the 1960s, development continued at Hueston Woods with the addition of campgrounds, cottages, lodge, marina, and golf course.
In nearby Oxford, McGuffey House and Museum features personal articles of William McGuffey, author of McGuffey Readers. Located north of the park is Hopewell Church and cemetery. The original church built in 1808 was constructed of logs. The present church, constructed in a Scottish architectural style, was completed in the 1820s. The cemetery was the first public cemetery in the township. Hopewell was an important stop and staging area for the Underground Railroad. The Hamilton County Park District contains several state nature preserves including Newberry Wildlife Sanctuary, Sharon Woods Gorge and Trillium Trails.